All children deserve the right to be healthy, no matter where they grow up. This includes access to enough, nutritious food. But many urban areas with a high proportion of families living on a lower average income are flooded with unhealthy food options. Healthy food is nearly three times more expensive than unhealthy food and, as low-income households spend a larger proportion than average of their income on food, they are more affected by any increases in food prices.Without action to ensure healthier options are available and affordable, people – particularly those living on a low income – will be pushed towards the unhealthy food and drink that floods cities like London and contributes to health inequalities.
We created a series of affordable, ‘better everyday takeaway’ brands serving up proper meals that were delicious, loved by kids and better for you. After quickly adapting our operations to respond to the Covid crisis in early 2020, we forged links with community-embedded networks for distribution and decided to pivot to make ready meals that families could access in different, convenient locations.
Shift have got under the skin of the challenge in terms of understanding the nutrition of takeaways meals, the role this food plays in people’s lives, the nature of the businesses involved and how their owners relate to them. They are crystal clear on what we can (and can’t) hope to influence and what we have to work with in order to effect change.
Adrian Phillips, Director of Public Health, Birmingham City Council
- 10+ years making fast food healthier
- Ethnographic research with 44 families to understand the role takeaway plays in their lives
- Co-design and development with parents, food industry experts and brand creatives
- Online tests reaching 129,066 parents to validate the proposition
- 11 week full service ‘Family Feeds’ prototype in Erdington to test market demand
- Rebooted, rebranded pilot launched in South London in late 2019
- Covid response with meals distributed through local community networks
- More than 20,000 tasty, healthier meals provided
- Reporting on three years work in South London
April 21, 2023
Learning and reflections from three years making affordable good food for families.
December 17, 2018
Shift has developed the UK’s most detailed understanding of takeaway food, families’ relationship with it, the role hot, prepared food plays in their food behaviours, the economics of outlets and the motivations of their owners. Possible avenues for positive change have been tested and the way forward is clear.
November 10, 2015
December 1, 2013
October 2, 2013
Infographic on the prevalence and effect of fast food outlets
Tori Flower and Kate Ferrier
The takeaway that wants to be healthy by stealth
Observer Food Monthly, March 2020
Innovative takeaway opens in Erdington
Birmingham Press, July 2018
There’s a new takeaway selling cottage pie and mac ‘n’ cheese in Erdington
Birmingham Mail, July 2018