Award-winning charity would love to meet a human-centred Innovation Designer with a passion for social change and a flair for design research, design strategy, systems thinking and relational approaches to product and service design.
Key info and benefits
- Full time, based in London’s Farringdon
- £46–53k per annum
- 25 days annual leave, plus 1 additional day for each year at Shift
- Matched pension contribution up to 4%
- Access to our tech scheme, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme
Experimental. Entrepreneurial. Impactful. Practical. Empathetic.
If you’re nodding along, either because you share those values or because they sound a little like you, this is the role for you. We’re looking for someone like you to join our growing team in Farringdon, London. We’re a creative, inquisitive, passionate, down-to-earth team of design strategists, researchers and commercial heads working to support funders, charities and other partners to make measurable change in big, important social issues.
Right now we’re obsessing about childhood obesity, mental health, childhood development and financial resilience – and we’re looking for a new Innovation Designer who shares these interests to join us.
As an Innovation Designer at Shift, you’ll spend your days…
- Leading and supporting teams to design and deliver awesome projects, products, services and other brilliant things using clear and compelling methods (some that you learn here and some that bring with you), to move from a question to something real in the world
- Provide design expertise displayed through high quality design research, storytelling, concepting, mapping, blueprinting, hypothesis-driven prototyping, creating low-fi prototypes and prepping new products or services for implementation
- Balancing a drive to get to the bottom of big, complex, tricky challenges with a desire to run fast towards ideas, prototypes and products being tested by real humans
- Meeting, mixing and mingling with partners, experts, communities, individuals, funders and other members of your team, and working together to move towards ideas, products and services that make a real difference
- Running sessions, workshops and setting up other ‘in person’ moments to bring partners, experts and communities along with you as you develop ideas and solutions
- Connecting the dots between what we’re doing ‘in here’ with what other amazing people and organisations are doing ‘out there’
- Challenging yourself to balance what’s best for people and communities, with what will be socially impactful, what makes sense financially and what others, looking at the same problem as we are, really need
- Thinking about social issues in a systematic and collective way, focusing on helping partners find the role they should play alongside others in order to have their biggest and most meaningful impact on complex social issues
- Using your creative skills (think visual, copywriting, digital) to create awesome and compelling outputs, products and services, and working well with team members and freelance creatives to make the things you can’t
- Working on making Shift a more awesome place by adding to our box of methods, and cooking up ways to build a great culture and make Shift a place you and others want to be
- Dabbling in or dedicating yourself to project that help make Shift more open, sharing what we know and what we do with awesome people outside our four (ish) walls
- Championing Shift inside and outside, helping to bring more amazing funders, partners, supporters and people like you through the door
You’ll be a great fit in this role if you are…
- Creative and logical
- Persistent and practical
- Ambitious and kind
- Diligent and decisive
- Above all, driven by the desire to use design to make a positive difference in the world
You’ll ideally have at least five years of experience in a similar or parallel sector and be able to show us how you have done, would do and/or could grow to do all of the things described above.
How to apply
We’re excited to hear from you. To apply please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining why you are interested in the role and how you would be a great fit. We’ll be taking applications until 09:00 on Monday 27 January 2020.
More about Shift
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that brings together rigorous research, ambitious creativity and commercial expertise to design solutions to challenging social problems. Check out our portfolio.